This month, the Punjab administration suggested giving female instructors in the province’s public schools access to electric scooters. According to a media report, the administration recommended it as a pilot project for the upcoming fiscal year.
A recent news story has revealed a few further specifics about that endeavour. Here are the specifics:
- The government will offer scooters to 160,000 female teachers across Punjab.
- The government will start taking applications for scooters in August 2022.
- It will only give scooters to government school teachers who are permanent employees.
- Teachers with salaries less than Rs. 50,000 can apply for the scheme.
- The government will evaluate the applications in November and distribute the scooters by December 2022.
Unfortunately, the applicants won’t just get free scooters from the government. The most recent report states that it will charge applicants monthly instalments of up to Rs. 3,000.
Unknown is whether the instalment will be applied to the full or partial cost of the scooter. Upon the official debut of this programme, the government will provide more information.