Kevin Spacey was charged with a series of sex assaults against three men today.
The news comes after the Met Police initiated an investigation in 2017.
The 62-year-old Oscar winner has been charged with four charges of sexual assault and one other sex offence and is scheduled to appear in court soon.
All of the crimes are said to have been committed between 2005 and 2013 on men in their 30s and 40s.
Four of the allegations were allegedly made in London, with one in Gloucestershire.
“The CPS has authorised criminal charges against Kevin Spacey, 62, for four counts of sexual assault against three men,” said Rosemary Ainslie, Head of the CPS Special Crime Division.
“He’s also accused of forcing someone to participate in penetrative sexual conduct without their consent.” The charges are the result of an assessment of the evidence acquired throughout the investigation by the Metropolitan Police.
“The Crown Prosecution Service reminds everyone that criminal proceedings against Mr Spacey are ongoing and that he is entitled to a fair trial,” the statement reads.
It comes after a file was handed over to the Crown Prosecution Service in April, and more investigations have been conducted since then.
In 2019, the Met conducted an undercover interview with Spacey, star of the film American Beauty.
He was not detained, but he did speak with officers about several allegations.
The Old Vic theatre in London, where Spacey was creative director from 2004 to 2015, also issued an apology after receiving reports of inappropriate behaviour.
The failures of the theatre were attributed to a “cult of personality,” according to its leaders.
Spacey has denied all charges, and the final criminal prosecution against him in the United States was closed in July 2019.
However, police in London have opened their own investigation into sex harassment allegations made during the star’s stint at the Old Vic.
Following the claims, Spacey’s International Emmy Award was revoked.
His main character in the critically acclaimed Netflix series House of Cards was likewise killed off when the show was cancelled.
In November of last year, it was revealed that a US arbitrator had ordered Spacey to repay the studio that produced the blockbuster show almost £24.6 million.
The payment was ordered as a result of an alleged breach of contract related to the sexual harassment allegations.
According to the arbitration papers, MRC claimed it lost millions of dollars because it had already begun planning for the next season.
The claims follow the release of a trailer for Spacey’s new project at the Cannes Film Festival on Thursday.
Since the first sexual assault claims surfaced nearly five years ago, Peter Five Eight is the actor’s first role.