MEGHAN Markle’s father has been released from hospital five days after having a severe stroke, according to reports, as the Duchess seeks to reach out to him to end their four-year rift.
Thomas Markle, 77, a retired Hollywood lighting director, became ill in Mexico on Monday night and was transported to the hospital by emergency ambulance.
He was believed to have lost his ability to speak as a result of the incident, which came after a health crisis last week, according to The Sun’s sources.
“I feel tremendously grateful and know how blessed I am to be alive,” he told the Mail on Sunday after being freed today.
“I’d like to express my gratitude to everyone, particularly the excellent physicians and nurses who saved my life. They are angelic beings.
“The kind letters I’ve gotten from all over the world have greatly impacted me. People have been quite helpful.
“I am unable to talk at this time, but I am working diligently and will express my gratitude when I am able.”
Mr. Markle had planned to fly to the United Kingdom this week to commemorate the Queen’s Platinum Jubilee next weekend, but his journey was cancelled due to his stroke.
Friends reported his health was so bad that he could only communicate by scrawling words on a sheet of paper.
He said, writing on a whiteboard with a felt-tip pen: “I wanted to pay my respects to Her Majesty the Queen. I wish her many more years and a joyful Jubilee.”
A blood clot on Mr Markle’s right side of the brain caused the catastrophic stroke.
Meghan, 40, is said to have reached out to her father’s camp after he was released from the hospital.
“Despite their separation, Meghan is concerned,” an insider told the Sunday Mirror.
“She wants to know whether there is a way for her to contact her father discreetly, without the rest of her family knowing or having to get involved.”
Meghan is reportedly concerned that contacting her father may necessitate speaking with her half-siblings Thomas Jr., 55, and Samantha.
“Meghan is unable to approach her half-siblings because she believes they have their own intentions,” the insider claimed.
“If she is able to contact their father, she wishes for it to be completely private. There will be no Netflix, no photos, and no paparazzi tips.”
The health scare comes after Thomas said he was so sick he could “dead tomorrow” in a tumultuous High Court privacy lawsuit.
He said he was “clinically obese,” had “heart and lung troubles,” and was on blood thinners that affected his breathing in a letter in the case brought by Meghan over a “personal and confidential” letter.
Meghan’s father famously skipped his daughter’s wedding four years ago, saying he had a heart attack.
Meghan and her father’s relationship shattered after he posed for paparazzi photos before of the 2018 wedding.
Harry and Meghan have confirmed that they will attend the Queen’s reception with their three-year-old son Archie and their one-year-old daughter Lilibet, who will be celebrating her first birthday during the Platinum Jubilee weekend.
They’re rumoured to be staying at Windsor Castle’s Frogmore Cottage.
Harry and his grandchildren have never met Mr. Markle.
It comes as the Queen, who has been dealing with mobility issues, has promised to appear twice on the Buckingham Palace balcony on Thursday, the opening day of her Jubilee celebrations.
“The Queen is keen to take part in the Jubilee celebrations,” a source told the Mail on Sunday.
“Trooping has been moved up a week to coincide with the Jubilee this year, and the Queen is extremely excited to be a part of it.”