The last thing you want is someone stumbling into crucial media files on your smartphone, whether you’re sharing holiday images or letting your kids watch hilarious movies. It’s critical to keep your private images and videos secure so that no unsuspecting eyes come across them. Using a few basic strategies, you may easily hide your media files. Naturally, each technique is dependent on your photo app and whether you’re using an Android or an Apple device. Here’s how to keep your phone or tablet safe from prying eyes.
How to hide photos on your Android phone
Every Android phone comes with Google Photos as the default gallery app. The software offers a simple Locked Folder add-on that allows you to hide photographs and movies. Here’s how to do it.
- Open Google Photos on your phone.
- Select the Library tab at the bottom.
- Tap on Utilities menu.
- Find the Set up Locked Folder suggestion on the following menu.
- Tap Get started, and you can use your phone’s authentication method (PIN, password, or fingerprint) to access the Locked Folder.
Now that you have set up the Locked Folder, it’s time to add media files.
How to hide photos in the Locked Folder
You can add photographs and videos to the Locked Folder in two ways. You can use the media library or a single photo to add them. The first way is as follows:
- Launch Google Photos and go to the Photos tab.
- Long tap on an image and multi-select media files you want to hide.
- Tap on the three-dot menu at the top.
- Select Move to Locked Folder and confirm your decision from the following pop-up menu.
It’s as simple as that. If you’re only adding one photo or video, you can hide it by clicking into it, swiping up to see additional details, and selecting Move to Locked Folder.
How to hide photos in the Locked Folder for Pixel users
From the default Camera app, users with a Pixel 3 or newer can save shot photographs directly to your Locked Folder.
- Open the default Camera app on your Pixel phone.
- Tap on the photo gallery icon at the top.
- Select Locked Folder from the Save to menu.
From now on, any photo or video you capture using your Pixel phone will go straight to the Locked Folder in Google Photos.
How to access hidden media in the Locked Folder
You might want to know where they are now that they’ve been locked up. In the Google Photos Utilities menu, you can access your hidden media files.
- Open the Utilities menu in Google Photos.
- Find Locked Folder under the Organize your library menu.
- Open it, authenticate your identity with a fingerprint or PIN, and check your hidden files.
There are a few drawbacks to Google’s Lock Folder implementation. Keep them in mind before cramming the Locked Folder with hundreds of media files.
Locked Folder is an offline add-on. Google won’t sync hidden files to your Google Photos library, and you can’t access the same from the web or another phone. Since hidden photos are stored on the device only, you don’t get any Google Photos editing or sharing capabilities. If you uninstall Google Photos or reset the device, you lose all the data in the Locked Folder.
How to hide photos on your Samsung Galaxy phone
The Secure Folder in One UI (Samsung’s Android skin), which is powered by Samsung Knox, keeps your private photographs and movies safe.
- Swipe down from the top and open the notification center.
- Swipe down again and expand the quick toggles menu.
- Enable the Secure Folder toggle and find it in the app drawer menu.
- If you don’t see Secure Folder in the quick toggle menu, tap on the three-dot menu at the top.
- Select the Edit buttons, and drag the Secure Folder icon (from suggestions) to the quick toggles menu.
How to set up Secure Folder
- Swipe up from the home screen and open the app drawer menu.
- Find Secure Folder (which looks like a lock icon) and open it.
- Set it up with a 4-digit PIN.
- Close Secure Folder and open the Gallery app on your Samsung phone.
That’s it. Now you can start adding media to your Secure Folder.
How to hide photos in the Secure Folder
- Find the Gallery app on your phone’s home screen or the app drawer menu (represented by a flower icon).
- Select multiple images and tap on More at the bottom.
- Select Move to Secure Folder, and your photos will vanish from the Gallery app.
You may enter the Secure Folder from the app drawer menu to access any of your secret material, verify with a PIN (the one you created during setup), and select the Gallery app.
How to hide photos on iPhone
Users of the iPhone and iPad’s default Photos app can hide sensitive media items in a secret album.
- Open the Photos app on your iPhone.
- Tap the Select button at the top and select the photos and videos you want to hide.
- Hit the share icon in the bottom left corner and select Hide.
That’s really all there is to it. It’s also just as easy to find your hidden media.
How to access hidden media on your iPhone
To check the hidden album, you first need to enable it from Photos settings.
- Open Settings using the gear icon on your iPhone.
- Scroll to Photos.
- Enable Hidden Album toggle.
- Open the Photos app and go to the Albums menu.
- Scroll down to the Utilities menu and open Hidden album to check sensitive media files.