WhatsApp is without a doubt the most popular messaging app on the planet. With more than two billion monthly users, there’s a decent possibility that anyone you’d like to contact is on the service. Despite its popularity, the service is missing one essential feature: the option to send a message to a phone number without adding it to your phonebook.
You might want to contact a business or service contact for a one-time conversation now and then, but adding the number to your phonebook could result in unnecessary clutter. Let’s look at a few different ways to start a WhatsApp conversation without having to add a phone number as a contact.
How To Start A WhatsApp Chat Without Saving A Number
At first look, it appears that WhatsApp offers no means to start a conversation without saving a phone number. The service, on the other hand, does have the feature built in. WhatsApp’s click to chat functionality leverages wa.me shortcut links to launch a chat with any active WhatsApp account, presumably for integration in websites and apps.
- To make use of the function, simply head over to your browser and type out the address https://wa.me/phonenumber.
- The phone number field should include the country and region code as well, but no modifiers like + or – or 00.
- Tap enter and WhatsApp will point you to a website with a green message button. Tapping this button will drop you into the chat.
If the preceding procedure seems overly complicated, there are a variety of apps that perform similar functions but make it more faster and easier to initiate a WhatsApp discussion without adding the contact to your phonebook.
How To Text A WhatsApp Number Without Saving It On An IPhone
While the first approach of using a wa.me link in the browser also works on an iPhone, there is a better way to WhatsApp chat on iOS without preserving contact numbers. You can use the shortcuts app to set up a simple way to enter a phone number and start chatting right away.
- Head over to the shortcuts app and create a new shortcut. For the first action, tap add action and search for ask for input.
- Once selected, tap the action field and set it to ask for a number. Assign it an easy-to-remember label like a phone number. Now add a second action.
- For the second action, you’ll need to set it as a variable. In the first field, type out the same label as above. In this case, it will be called phone number. In the second field, select provided input. This will ensure the phone number, once added in, will be assigned to the specific field.
- For our third action, select the URL option. In the URL field, enter http://api.whatsapp.com/send?phone=91 and follow it up with the variable we assigned above. In this case, it will be the variable called phone number. Don’t forget to replace the 91 in our URL field with your country’s dialing code.
- Finally, the fourth action is to launch the browser with the URL